Areas of Focus
Our primary focus areas represent a set of strategic priorities identified by the research community, leadership, and external partners to advance the University’s research mission.
Enhance Research Excellence
Enhance research excellence by investing in research infrastructure and faculty and educating our students for the challenges and opportunities of tomorrow.
- Internal funding opportunities for faculty and research infrastructure
- Advancing human research protections and promoting a culture of research ethics
- New enterprise technology supporting research, including an electronic IRB submission system
- Fund and support Grand Challenges research through our centers and institutes
Advance Transdisciplinary Partnerships
Advance transdisciplinary partnerships by encouraging collaboration between researchers and among disciplines to derive new concepts and approaches and enable new ways of understanding.
- MnDRIVE (Minnesota’s Discovery, Research, and InnoVation Economy)
- Stakeholder engagement opportunities
- Minnesota Futures Grant Program
Accelerate Knowledge Transfer for the Public Good
Accelerate the transfer of knowledge by creating opportunities for public-private partnerships that move information out of the ivory tower and into the community, where it can do the most good.
- Discovery Capital Investment Program
- MN-IP (Minnesota Innovation Partnerships)
- Corporate Engagement Workgroup (CEW)
Promote a Culture of Serendipity
Promote a culture of serendipity where researchers can come together across departments, colleges, and disciplines—and with colleagues and communities outside the University—to think creatively and to cultivate new ideas.
- Research Advancement & Development Professionals Network (RADPN)
- Convergence Colloquia and Serendipity Grants
- Discovery Nexus, a co-location space for U of M groups with a business or community engagement focus