Effort Reporting Training
Training in the University’s Effort Certification Reporting Technology (ECRT) System is required for anyone in the effort coordinator role. In addition to instructor-led training, job aids are provided to assist with the effort reporting task.
Effort Training Materials
The Effort Certification Manual provides the effort coordinator, or other authorized certifier, information on the effort certification process and how to manage those processes in the ECRT system. It might also be helpful to review the Best Practices checklist for an outline of effort processing steps.
In addition to the Effort Certification Manual, job aids provide the steps for certifying effort statements in the ECRT system.
- ECRT 4.5 Job Aid: Anatomy of a Statement for Certifiers
- ECRT 4.5 Job Aid: Certifying an Effort Statement for Certifiers
- ECRT 4.5 Job Aid: Certifying an Effort Statement That Requires Changes
- ECRT 4.5 Job Aid: Anatomy of a Statement for Principal Investigators
- ECRT 4.5 Job Aid: PI Certifying Multiple Statements Job Aid
- ECRT 4.5 Job Aid: PI Certifying an Individual Job Aid
Effort Training Videos in ULearn
This effort training provides a guide through the certification process.
- SPECTRUM Course: SP14 Effort Reporting and Management for Research Administrators
This online introductory course covers a number of essential components of effort reporting and management and is included in the core requirements for the SPECTRUM certification.
- SPECTRUM Course: SP25 Effort Reporting and Management for Research Administrators - Special Processes
This elective course in the SPECTRUM curriculum is designed as a follow-up to the core course, SP14 Effort Reporting and Management for Research Administrators, though each can be taken separately.
- Certifying a Statement That Requires Change
- ECRT for Effort Coordinators
- Effort Certification Policy Overview
- PI Certifying an Individual Statement with No Changes
- PI Certifying Multiple Statements
- Researcher Certifying Statement
Training Materials for 9 Over 12 Calculations
The Effort Certification: Salary Cap and 9-over-12 Appointments from Symposium XIII presentation provides a foundation for the NIH salary cap, nine-over-twelve appointments, and what happens when the two intersect.
- Example 1 - Adjusting 9 Over 12 No Summer Appointment (download)
- Example 2 - Adjusting 9 Over 12 With Summer Appointment (download)
- Example 3 - Adjusting 9 Over 12 F14 With Summer Appointment (download)
- 9 Over 12 Distribution Worksheet (download)
- Partial Pay Period Retro Worksheet (download)