The implementation team was charged with reviewing the recommendations of the external review panel and considering other changes necessary to strengthen the University’s human research protections and make it a national model.
The team met weekly beginning April 8, 2015, with significant work between meetings. Each recommendation was assigned to at least two team members who researched and designed an action plan to address it. The action plans were reviewed and debated by all team members during meetings. A final work plan, which incorporated over 70 individual and multi-individual (grouped) comments, was approved by the Board of Regents June 12, 2015.
- William J. Tremaine, M.D., Professor of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Chair
- Brian Herman, Ph.D., Vice President for Research, Co-Vice Chair
- Brooks Jackson, M.D., Dean, Medical School; Vice President for Health Sciences, Co-Vice Chair
- Joanne Billings, M.D., MPH, Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine
- William Durfee, Ph.D., Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor, Mechanical Engineering
- Debra Dykhuis, Executive Director, Human Research Protection Program
- Paul F Goering, M.D., Vice President, Allina Mental Health
- Steven Miles, M.D., Professor and Maas Family Endowed Chair in Bioethics, Center for Bioethics; Professor, Department of Medicine
- Timothy Schacker, M.D., Professor, Department of Medicine
- Naomi Scheman, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Philosophy
- Daniel Weisdorf, M.D., Professor, Department of Medicine
- Carolyn S Wilson, RN, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Fairview; Co-President, University of Minnesota Health
- Jean Wyman, Ph.D, RN, GNP-BC, FAAN, FGSA Professor and Cora Meidl Siehl Endowed Chair in Nursing Research Director
Members of the implementation team provided progress updates to the University community and invited public discussion at several events. The Board of Regents also held a public forum to allow for additional comments.
- April 27, 2015—Senate Research Committee
- April 30, 2015—University Senate
- May 4, 2015—Academic Health Center Town Hall Meeting
- May 7, 2015—Board of Regents Public Hearing
- May 18–June 1, 2015—Work plan public comment period