The Software & Information Technology team provides support and expertise for software and computing technologies.
- Evaluating an innovation's market and patentability
- Creating initial distribution and revenue streams
- Pricing and drafting end-user software licenses
- Marketing and licensing
- Negotiating and structuring licensing terms
- Facilitating entrepreneurship through the Venture Center
- Finding professional expertise
We can work with you to develop business models and revenue structures, size the market potential, and identify external partners for commercialization. We transfer University-owned copyrights to commercial partners, enabling commercial use of University copyrights.
See the technologies available for licensing or contact Andrew Morrow to learn more about licensing software and information technology technologies.
Contact Sandipan Banerjee if you are a U of M researcher in software and information technology interested in commercializing your invention, or report your invention now.
Releasing Open Source
We work with the Office of the General Counsel (OGC) to identify standards for open-source release of University-owned software:
- OGC-approved open-source license
- Dual end-user commercial licenses
- Marketing page listing for commercial distribution license
- Source code managed by faculty via GitHub.com
We manage iTunes and Google Play accounts for the Regents and are able to quickly setup distribution of free or paid apps.
The University has successfully licensed apps to entrepreneurs and large companies for distribution.
Mobile apps licensing information sheet
End-User & Express Licensing
We manage the express licensing website, which includes:
- Credit card transactions
- Online licensing
- Search engine optimization
- Template licenses result in quick license drafting
- Tiered pricing