SPA facilitates the submission, acceptance, and management of sponsored projects and related research agreements for UMN investigators and their staff.
We are responsible for:
- Reviewing proposals for completeness and compliance with agency and university requirements (nontechnical)
- Approving and endorsing proposals on behalf of the University
- Submitting proposals to agencies
- Managing electronic systems for proposal preparation, institutional approval, and submission to agencies
Roles & Responsibilities
Do you know who is responsible for ensuring:
- the proposal package is complete?
- the PRF is routed and signed?
- the proposal is submitted to us?
- the proposal is submitted to the sponsor?
The Responsibilities Matrix and Roles & Definitions describe all activities in the lifecycle of a sponsored project and generally who is responsible for the activity.
For a more detailed outline of the responsibilities of principal investigators (PIs)/departmental administrators and SPA when submitting a proposal for electronic submission, read this PI Quick Guide.
Reminder for Submitting Proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org
When submitting a proposal to email@example.com, the subject line or email title must contain:
- Seven-digit PRF #
- P.I. 's last name
- Sponsoring agency.
- 1070256 Dunbar MN Dept of Transportation
- 1062251 Fulton NIH
- 1074482 Heaney UCLA
Do not include the department, proposal title, co-PIs, prime sponsor, or any other extraneous words or punctuation in the title. This helps reduce the time it takes to process your proposal.