The Office of Research Information Systems (ORIS) identifies, implements, and sustains information system solutions to benefit the University of Minnesota research community. ORIS enhances services that can be leveraged centrally, works closely with OIT on enterprise-wide solutions, and ensures technology alignment within the institution's larger IT context.
Located within the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR), ORIS works in partnership with OVPR units to simplify business processes, inform decisions, and streamline research activities in all aspects of OVPR’s business.
Services & Specialization
Strategic & Tactical Planning for Research Systems
ORIS partners with OVPR business leaders to maintain an electronic research systems roadmap to anticipate transformative projects, maintain tactical plans, align resources with the most pressing needs of the organization, and set a multi-year direction for OVPR's portfolio of information systems.
Business Analysis & Project Management
ORIS provides business analysis resources and technology expertise to help units make sound business decisions and to complete technical components of OVPR-approved projects, including:
- Identifying application changes and emerging needs
- Integrating technology components with existing OVPR, University, and external systems
- Partnering with internal and external resources to provide and support application solutions
- Process design and system improvements
Information Systems Support & Quality Assurance
ORIS provides ongoing support for OVPR research tools and applications, both enterprise-level information systems and internal IS tools. The team provides an array of services, including:
- Helpline and customer support
- Needs analysis and business requirement documentation
- User-acceptance testing
- OVPR database maintenance
- Routine system maintenance
Data Analytics & Reporting
ORIS provides data analytics and reporting for customers both inside and outside OVPR, with a specific focus on research data, including:
- Analytical and operational report development in the Research Reporting Center
- Ad hoc reporting for OVPR and other University units
- Systems data analysis
- Data modeling
- Data privacy and security analysis
Information System Solution Development
ORIS offers end-to-end system solution development for OVPR unit business needs. Services offered include:
- Custom configuration of central University systems to meet solution design requirements
- Development and maintenance of small-scale OVPR applications
- Installation and configuration of “off-the-shelf” OVPR systems
Work Coordination & Facilitation
When work needs to be performed by another specialized group, ORIS provides direction, negotiates the scheduling of the work, coordinates distributed activities, and then validates resolution with business units.