The Grant-in-Aid of Research, Artistry, and Scholarship program (GIA) promotes the research, scholarly, and artistic activities of faculty and supports academic excellence throughout the University.
Grant-in-Aid funds are used to support independent research, and in most cases, are not meant to provide sole support for research activities, but instead to act as seed money for developing projects to the point of attracting more complete, external funding.
While there is no rigid maximum amount, funds are limited and we aim to support as many worthy projects as possible. In fiscal year 2017, 84 grants were awarded with an average award of $32,958.
Grant-in-Aid has a fall and spring funding cycle during the academic year with bridge funding offered during the summer.
Opens in late August and closes in early October. The award period begins January 1 and lasts 18 months.
The fall 2018 funding cycle is currently closed. Here are upcoming deadlines:
- 08/20/18: Application opens
- 09/17/18: Principal Investigator submits application to approvers (by 11:59 p.m.)
- 09/20/18: Approvers submit application to OVPR (by 11:59 p.m.)
- December: Award notification
- 01/01/2019: Award period begins
Opens in early January and closes in mid-February. Award period begins July 1 and lasts 18 months.
The spring 2018 funding cycle is currently open. Here are upcoming deadlines:
- 01/02/18: Application opens
- 02/05/18: Principal investigator submits application to approvers (by 11:59 p.m.)
- 02/08/18: Approvers submit application to OVPR (by 11:59 p.m.)
- May 2018: Award notification
- 7/1/2018: Award period begins
Summer Bridge Funding
Opens in mid May and closes in late June. Award period begins September 1 and lasts 18 months. Note: Bridge funding is the only GIA category that accepts applications in the summer.
The Summer Bridge Funding cycle is currently closed.
- 05/07/18: Application opens
- 06/04/18: Principal investigator submits application to approvers
- 06/07/18: Approvers submit application to OVPR
- August 2018: Award notification
- 09/01/18: Award period begins
How to Apply
The application instructions provide information about system requirements, how to edit or check an existing application, required attachments, proposal requirements, budget requirements, and approval routing.
Start a New Application
Start a new application during an open funding cycle (see Availability/Deadlines). Only applications submitted through this system are accepted; fax, email, and paper copy applications will not be accepted.
If you click on the new application link when a competition is closed you will not be able to apply and will receive a message that says, "This competition type is currently closed. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information."
Edit an Existing Application
To edit an existing application, choose "OVPR Grant-in-Aid" from the "Process" drop down list (top left corner). Click on “My actions to do.” Click on the relevant link in the “Action” column. On the next screen, you will see your application.
Direct questions to email@example.com or 612-625- 2356.